Wednesday, April 11, 2012

My New Love: My Library Card

You may find it ironic, that as a teacher (a special education teacher at that) I was never much of a reader as a kid. I mean, I could read- I just was never that interested in reading. Now that life has totally changed, I'm  always trying to get my students excited about reading. After all, it is one of the many keys to success in life. My challenge is this- reading is so challenging for so many of my students that they get so frustrated they just want to give up.  So on any given day during my reading lessons, you will probably find me putting on some type of circus show (yes with costumes and all) just so I can grab their attention.

Recently however, I keep having the same problem. I pull out an old beloved book and they shout out "We  read that already!".  And truth is, they are right. As teachers we tend to read the same books year after year to our classes. Another one of my problems- I teach the same cohort of students for 2 to 3 years.  Luckily- I came up with the great idea of a library. (How did I not think of this before!) So desperate to find a book that they haven't seen, I trotted off to the local library. I actually was so surprised by some fun titles I found and hadn't heard of so I thought I'd share them here.

Enjoy!

(Note:There is not really one theme here to this collection of books. We were working on "Reading is thinking" and making predictions and connections to text. )


imgres.jpg  imgres.jpg

gwendolyn-graceful-pig-david-ira-rottenberg-hardcover-cover-art.jpg  imgres.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment